Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Your wish is my command :)


Every birthday in a sense has been the same.  Receiving calls from loved ones, gifts from the close ones, and blessings from the elderly. I thought why not make this b’day more purposeful and different by doing something meaningful for others. Since the time Mom passed away I have always been wanting to do some good deed for cancer patients but never found the courage to face them.  I thought it is high time I let go of my inhibitions and at least do my bit, however miniscule it might be. Though my initial desire was to meet cancer inflicted children and spend time with them, it did not work out on the dates and time suitable for both of us.

I then decided to contact Make a Wish Foundation, an organization which fulfills the wishes of children with life-threatening conditions. I told them about my desire to do something fruitful on my b’day by fulfilling the wishes of as many children as possible within a specified budget. The ever cheerful and helpful volunteers of Make a Wish got to work and identified 7 children whose wishes could be fulfilled within my budget. Their wishes comprised of owning a cycle, video games, remote car, gift hamper of toys,  cricket set, a mini TV etc. Mundane things of everyday routine that we take for granted are a luxury for them.

They were called along with their parents to the office of Make A Wish on my b’day. They arranged for a cake for me for my b’day. I cut the cake with all the children (unfortunately one of them could not make it). 

I then distributed the gift articles to each of them, the cycles, video games, toys , cricket set.



 













 In the end each of them  were told to dip their hand in colored paint and endorse their handprint on a chart paper. This paper was then given to me as a souvenir by Make A Wish.




 I don’t think I have had a more memorable b’day. To see the look of pure unadulterated joy on the children’s faces when their wishes were getting fulfilled was a delight. A day well spent. :)

7 comments:

shreyas said...

Ramya...You have found out a very nice way of enjoying your birthday.
I appreciate your gesture to bring some happiness to those children.

The camera has not recorded the date
correctly. But I am sure this date has registered in your mind as an unforgettable one.

Deepika said...

What an incredibly kind thing to do but knowing you, this is just one among the many ways that you touch the lives of people around you! Way to go! I am glad you had a good time!! I am sure the kids thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and Jiju as well! Lots of love!!

Parinita Salian said...

I totally agree with what Deepika has written. You have always thought about and done such amazing deeds for people. Just like your mom. This is the best thing you could do on your birthday Ramya.

Param said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Param said...

While many of us read "happiness by giving and sharing" throughout our life and appreciate the thoughts expressed, few actually live by those very values. Very proud of you Ramya that you chose to do live by the value of "giving" on your birthday. You have done something for someone who can only repay you with their gratitude and good wishes. Here is a nice read in the "Science magazine" about how happiness increases by giving. http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2008/03/20-02.html

K said...

Proud of u :)

Jayamcm said...

Great gesture, indeed!